Friday, December 31, 2010

The Perfect Cocoa

Now that it finally snowed in Colorado this year, it's time to break out the cocoa recipes. I love mine thick with melted chocolate, of course. No packaged cocoa for this chick! So, foodnetwork.com has a great recipe:

Bring 4 cups whole or low-fat milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Mix 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 3 to 4 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate in a bowl, then whisk into the milk. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring, until the chocolate melts and the cocoa is thick, about 2 minutes. Divide among 4 mugs and garnish each with homemade marshmallows (see below) or whipped cream.


Although, I use powdered sugar instead of regular sugar....and use a little more of the bittersweet chocolate. I never go exactly by a recipe. That's just me. I also like to add powdered espresso if it's just for the hubby and me. ;)


And, toppings, toppings, toppings!! My faves are: peppermint sticks, whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate chips/chunks.... the richer the better, I always say. hehe


More toppings to use: cinnamon sticks, nuts, coconut, white chocolate, peanut butter chips, toffee, dried cherries, dried cranberries, candied orange peel, red pepper flakes, caramels.... oh the possibilities!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yumm!! I like to add a littl Kaluha :o) That's just me. Great recipe Sheila.

    ReplyDelete